Friday, March 19, 2010

CROSSTOPIX #2 - Part 3 of 3 - CrossACTION

It's Friday, if you're a regular reader, you know what that means....
CrossACTION
Alright everyone, all answers have been made. It’s time for the part of the week where we pick one person and discuss one of their topics that we agree or disagree on. Remember; be courteous when expressing your opinions!

To Catch-Up With The Conversations:
Get to know this week's guests in the first-ever Cross X-amine: http://crosstopix.blogspot.com/2010/03/cross-x-amine-inside-look-at-little.html
Read Part 1 of this week's Discussion: http://crosstopix.blogspot.com/2010/03/crosstopix-2-part-1-of-3.html
Read Part 2: http://crosstopix.blogspot.com/2010/03/crosstopix-2-part-2-of-3.html
----------------------------------------------------

STVO: This week I pick Rhodrick and his discussion about old cartoons vs. new cartoons. I heavily agree with him! A lot of people tend to make all cartoons of today be general garbage when in actuality; there are many gems he mentioned (Avatar and Samurai Jack) that had much more effort put into them today as opposed to shows in the 90s such as Problem Child the Animated Series, Ace Ventura: The Animated Series (wow, I’m noticing a trend), and much more. Like he said, most cartoons of each generation: past, present, and surely future will have garbage that’s just thrown out there in hopes of making big money (any TV company will make a cheap show that kids will watch and buy action figures to regardless of how much effort is put into as long as it provides the expected numbers.) I don’t know how many people will believe this besides people who do sometimes to watch cartoons/anime on a regular basis as more people have moved on to more real life shows (with exceptions of Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, and Adult Swim shows.) Some shows I recommend to those willing to give today’s cartoons a chance are Spectacular Spider-Man (it may not be good as the 1990s, but it’s still very good!), Wolverine and the X-Men (only saw an episode, I was impressed and I’ve heard nothing but praise from those who regularly watch), Avatar: Last Air Bender (becoming a movie by M. Night Shyamalan but just called “Last Airbender” for obvious reasons), and The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (weird kids cartoon, but I find myself laughing when I have watched it.)

CharlieCat: Since most everything else discussed was way over my fuzzy head, haha, I'm just going to agree/disagree with the 3-D movie debate. From now on, the only way I'm seeing movies in 3-D is only if it's on an Imax screen. That is a whole different experience as you get soooo much more detail and depth, and peripheral vision is taken away due to the vastness of the screen. I noticed things from my second viewing of Alice in Wonderland I didn't even realize were there, and I was more attentive the first time around. My point is Imax over 3-D. I'm still willing to do-away with 3-D all together. It's extra money for something that really doesn't add anything. I really have not been blown away by any movie in 3-D. A well told story, great acting, and as Rhodrick pointed out, the hard under-appreciated work of the director of photography, along with the director, enhancing the story visually just by how a shot is set up and what's in it and focused on, is what really takes my breath away.

Robin: It took me quite a while to choose what answers to comment on, but I spun the wheel and decided to comment on what the great STVO wrote about Adult Swim and the possibility of prime time shows. I have to agree with STVO about airing new and original shows or possibly bringing back shows that are no longer played on any other channel (The Oblongs, Mission Hill, Shin Chan, or possibly Baby Blues, sorry guys, I really enjoy that show.) The list goes on. They don't even need new episodes for all I care, and I know some will never have new episodes. I don't feel the need to have The Simpsons, Family Guy, or American Dad! I know the last two are already on this network. They are airing new episodes on other networks, and Family Guy is playing on TBS, so what is the point in playing them over and over? I don't mind King of the Hill because that show is in syndication. I love the fact that they are considering prime time! However I don't think people will be tuning in earlier to watch programs they can see somewhere else or some scraped together programming.

Rhodrick: I have to say to CharlieCat that the "weirdness" of cartoons probably has a direct relation to age. Every generation of weird cartoons has its generation of children audiences. As those audiences grow up and become future cartoon writers they take their previous knowledge of storytelling and take it to a new level, sometimes making it even weirder (since art is all about change and risk-taking). I think the "weirdness" we're experiencing watching shows like Sponge Bob may be the same experience our parents had when they see OUR cartoons... I mean, shows like "The Tick" and "EEK The Cat" were no "Looney Tunes" in the eyes of our parents. Robin may be right about 80's cartoons to films being a sign of superiority. But I think the 80’s have become a major icon to American youth (even to the kids who never grew up in the 80's!!). Don't get me wrong, "Jem" is great! But in these days, when it comes to Hollywood movies the dollar always gets the director's chair.
---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for your participation and a special thanks to Rhodrick and Robin for coming on to the site and letting me conduct an interview! I hope you two will return!

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
After being a part of the pilot and first two editions of CrossTopix, Charlie Cat will no longer be a regular member of the CrossTopix team (at this time leading me, STVO, as the sole survivor.) He will be focusing closer to his movie career in screenplay writing but will be a guest for three more editions in the future with other guests. I, STVO, wish him the best of luck in future endeavors! Also, in no way do I plan on canceling the site as it has only begun and while there will be a few one-on-one editions of CrossTopix for awhile, I will have plenty of round tables in the future, exciting new features being added to the site, and I am willing to hear suggestions on how to make the site better!!! With that said, please comment on this and/or other parts of the site by creating your own account here or if you have AIM, you can log onto your AIM SN and make a comment here. If you don't want to go through the trouble but have Facebook, please log on to Facebook and go to the CrossTopix fanpage and leave any comments on either the wall or discussion forums. Comments from all of you help make for a better website and quite possibly more of what you want. :)

Tune in Sunday for an all-new Cross X-Amine where I interview Nick Smith, producer and director of a new horror movie called "Munger Road." He will also be the guest on next week's CrossTopix!!! Thank you all and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment